6 Tips for a Healthy Chemical-Free Lawn
Lifestyle Believe it or not, it's possible to have a healthy lawn without the need for chemical treatment.
- Deep roots = healthy lawns. Healthy lawns are alive and are full of microbes. Get your soil tested by scientists at Rodale Institute to learn how to best achieve a healthy lawn.
- Use organic fertilizers that have been approved by OMRI, the Organic Materials Review Institute. These fertilizers contain healthy nutrients that feed the microbes in your soil, making it green and lush.
- Each spring, rake your lawn to reduce the layer of thatch that can build up over time.
- Water heavily once a week. No more.
- Use only OMRI approved weed killers — or better yet — pull weeds by hand! Then topdress that area with a quality compost and seed mix that is suited your local climate.
- Keep your lawn at least three inches tall to keep soil cool and shade out weeds.