If you want to up your topping game, add 1-2 tablespoons of aged balsamic and 15-20 thinly sliced basil leaves to the berries and toss.
For the Berries:
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced, about 1 pound
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Pinch of salt
For the French Toast:
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup half & half or heavy cream
- 1 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 – 3/4 cup Acacia honey, or other mild tasting honey
- 1/2 stick butter, 4 Tablespoons, melted
- 8 slices store-bought Italian bread (round, short loaf)
- In a medium to large size mixing bowl, add the strawberries, sugar, pinch of salt and aged balsamic and basil, if using. Toss together, let macerate and set aside.
- Preheat a nonstick or cast iron griddle over medium-low to medium heat.
- Whisk up the custard: eggs, half & half, parmigiano and nutmeg.
- Warm the honey in a small pot over low heat.
- Brush the griddle with the melted butter. Soak and turn the bread in the custard and place on the griddle. Cook in two batches slowly, until one side is golden brown. Turn and cook on the other side until golden and cooked through.
- Remove from griddle and cut toast corner to corner. Line up triangles of toast down the center of the plate and drizzle with warm honey. Top with macerated berries.
© 2021 Ray Marks Co. LLC. All rights reserved.